Throwing a farmers market themed party is a fun and unique way to celebrate a special occasion, whether it’s a baby shower or a birthday party. Not only is it a great way to bring people together, but it also allows you to celebrate the bounty of fresh, local produce. Good for the mind, body, and soul!
We are currently loving this theme over here at Parties by Tanea HQ & it’s mostly because of all the cute little ideas that come along with it.
Here are some tips for a beautiful and most of all, successful farmers market themed party.
The first step in planning your party is to choose a location. If you live in a rural area, you may be able to host the party at a local farm or farmers market. If you live in a city, you can still host a farmers market themed party by renting a space at a community center or park. Just make sure the cows and chickens don’t crash the party!
To set the scene for your party, you’ll want to decorate with items that remind you of a farmers market. String up bunting or banners with images of fruits and vegetables, such as a “locally grown” banner and a banner featuring vegetables. You can actually purchase these items from our etsy shop, along with several other add-ons we think will really make your party decor pop!
And don’t forget the lush greenery, berries, and flowers! Here we decorated with a lot of baby’s breath (usually available at your local florist) and some daisies, along with strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
Here are all the links to shop this party setup:
- Our handmade decoration kit (available on Etsy)
- Use rustic wooden crates and baskets to display the food.
- Add a light green gingham tablecloth to make your tableware stand out.
- Ceramic egg holders – so precious!
- Use these rustic, market baskets to hold berries and fruit.
- 3D, DIY Painted Awning – this was actually a fun little DIY for me! I purchased this pack of amazon which came red, and I used some cheap paint from Walmart and painters tape to paint the red stripes green. It came out so cute and was a total wow-factor at our party!
The most important part of any party is the food, and a farmers market themed party is no exception. You can serve a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. For a fun and unique touch, you can serve “dirt cupcakes” made by crushing up Oreos and placing them on top of chocolate cupcakes like we did here. We added our matching Farmers market cupcake toppers and *chef’s kiss* … too cute!
Here’s a list of how we handled food:
- Milk bottles & custom, printable milk bottle wraps with straws for an antique touch.
- Chocolate cupcakes with crushed oreos (dirt) on top, topped with our matching farmers market cupcake toppers.
- A naked chocolate cake surrounded by kale, berries, and flowers. Topped with our farmers market “locally grown” cake topper.
To keep guests entertained, you can set up a variety of activities that are inspired by the farmers market. For example, you could have a “pick your own” station where guests can pick their own berries. You could also have a “guess the weight of the pumpkin” contest, or a “name the vegetable” quiz.
As a fun reminder of the party, you can give small take-home gifts that are in keeping with the farmers market theme. For example, small jars of homemade preserves or jams, packets of seeds for guests to grow their own fruits and vegetables, or our personal favorite: an adopt a chick station where each child can take their own toy chick home in it’s individual, handmade coop!
This idea was a total hit – my daughter LOVES these little wind-up chicks and they are the perfect addition to your farmers market birthday party.
Overall, a farmers market themed party is a fun and unique way to celebrate a special occasion. With a little bit of planning and creativity, you can create a memorable event that will be enjoyed by all.
Or maybe you’re looking for something a tad bit different? I’d love to help! I design and create custom party kits for clients and would love to hear more about the special event you have coming up.